Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A memorial to nobody

I took this picture last month in the Superstition Mountains in Arizona (more photos from that trip to come) and the more I look at it, the more it bothers me. It can't have originally been a memorial to nobody. Whose picture is supposed to be there and what happened to that person? Who would want to deface (figuratively and literally) a memorial to someone's loved one? I know it's a small thing, but to the person who set up this memorial, it means a lot. To someone like me who stumbles across it, it's a reminder of the million injustices that happen everyday, everywhere. I'm no bleepin' Mother Teresa, but c'mon people. If there were 999,999 injustices everyday instead of a million, we would at least be moving in the right direction.

No comments: